Formerly the LaSalle Hotel, Cobeen Hall was renovated and opened in 1964. It housed up to 387 female students. As a result, Alumnae House, Lisette Lodge and Xavier Hall became obsolete and closed their doors. Female students still had to adhere to the same rules and regulations as before. By 1967, students no longer had nightly room checks and quiet study hours were eliminated. The successes of this experiment led to a relaxation in the rules. In 1972, both male and female students were permitted to live in the same residence halls. Cobeen Hall, affectionately known as the “Beanery” to its residents, remains the only all-female residence hall on campus.
Named for Charles T. Cobeen, a 1920 Marquette graduate and longtime student union and university business manager.
Scanned as RGB in transparency mode with Epson Expression10000XL at 2400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.