A new football stadium came about in response to student and alumni desire for an outdoor stadium to match those of other powerhouse teams throughout the nation. The Marquette University Alumni Association purchased a piece of property known as the “old circus grounds” from the City of Milwaukee and alumni engaged thereafter in fundraising efforts for the stadium. The stadium consisted of bleachers on the east and west side of the playing field with a cinder track and seating for 20,000 with possible expansion up to 48,000 seats. The stadium hosted its first football game on October 18, 1924 with Marquette defeating John Carroll University by a score of 10-3; Marquette dropped its football program after the 1960 season. Over the years, the stadium played host to numerous regional track events and was used by the Green Bay Packers until they moved to Milwaukee County Stadium. The Marquette University High School used the stadium for many years and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee football team also called it home until 1972. In 1976 the stadium was razed.
Scanned as grayscale in negative mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 2400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.