McCormick Hall was the first of three new residence halls planned for the Marquette University campus in the mid-1960s. The 12-story high rise was originally open to male students, housing about 735 residents; in 1990 the hall went co-ed. The top 11 floors were designed as dormitory rooms while the main floor had two dining rooms, a formal lounge, and a hi-fi room and the basement featured a sauna, an exercise room, a billiards room, and a chapel. The students’ rooms are located on the outside of the circular building while the central core of each floor houses the laundry rooms, elevators, and storage space. The building’s odd shape is due in part to an apartment building that was still on the lot when construction began.
Named for Victor McCormick, a 1922 graduate of the Marquette Law School and a member of the University's Board of Governors, Board of Trustees, and its Athletic Board, who donated $2.5 million to Marquette University in 1967 (at that time the largest single private donation to the university). In 1952 McCormick was named Marquette’s Alumnus of the Year, and in 1968 he became only the second person at Marquette University to receive “Founder of Marquette University” designation. McCormick died in February 1987 at the age of 88.
Scanned as grayscale in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 300 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.