All offices and services located in the Brooks Memorial Union were relocated to the Alumni Memorial Union at the time that building opened in 1990. The once lively Brooks Memorial Union then came to be used for taekwondo and dance lessons and housed a number of departments/units, including the Air Force ROTC, Alpha Sigma Nu, the Institute for Urban Life and the Marquette University Retiree Association. These offices were moved to the 707 Building in 2001 and Brooks was torn down to make way for the construction of the John P. Raynor, S.J. Library.
Named for Rev. Peter A. Brooks, S.J. to honor his commitment and dedication to Marquette University. While a student at Marquette, Brooks served as the first president of the Marquette Student Union, graduating in June 1921. On February 28, 1944 he became president of Marquette University and embarked on a number of building projects on campus in the ensuing years. Unfortunately he passed away suddenly in 1948 before seeing these projects to completion.
Scanned as RGB in transparency mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 2400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.