The Memorial Library was constructed in 1951 and was designed in the style of a modified cross at an estimated cost of $1,250,000. The eastern portion of the land that the library sits on was donated by Miss Paula Uihlein. The original building was three stories tall. One wing of the building ran east to west and is parallel to Wisconsin Avenue while the other wing ran north and south. In 1970 remodeling started on the wing that ran north and south. At this time a U-shaped structure was constructed around this wing enclosing it. Once this construction was completed in 1971 the building no longer resembles a modified cross.
Scanned as RGB in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.