The Elizabeth Plankinton mansion was built in 1886 by John Plankinton in anticipation of of his daughter, Elizabeth's, marriage to British sculptor, Richard Hamilton Park. Unfortunately before the couple were married and could move into the new home, Park changed his mind and ran off with a dancer from Minneapolis. After that event Elizabeth chose not to live in the palatial structure and spent much of her time abroad. The mansion was empty until 1896 when it was purchased by the widowed Mrs. Hugh L. Johnston. The Knights of Columbus began using the structure in 1910 and would occupy it until it was destroyed in 1980. Marquette University purchased the land around the mansion in 1975. The Elizabeth Plankinton mansion was on the list of the National Register of Historic Places and many students, polticians and citizens protested when they learned of plans to tear it down. However, their efforts were to no avail, as bulldozers began demolishing the building on October 11, 1980, before the permits were issued for such activities.
Scanned as RGB in reflective mode with Epson Expression 100000XL at 720 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival TIFF file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold, or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.