The William Plankinton Mansion was built in 1876 by John Plankinton upon the event of his son, William's, marriage to Mary Ella Woods. John Plankinton made his fortune running a meat packing company and William would later become successful in his own business ventures, founding the Plankinton Electric Light & Power Company, owning the West Portland Cement Company, and acting as the president and director of Johnson Service Company. The Plankintons were also heavily involved within the Milwaukee community. William served as a board member for the public museum, public library, Milwaukee industrial exposition and the Layton art gallery. William's mansion is fashioned in the Victorian style and amongst its greatest features were a marble face with a lion's head, ornate woodwork throughout and a stained glass window in the stairwell. William Plankinton died in 1905 and in 1918 the remaining family members chose to move to a different location as Wisconsin Avenue had begun to lose its
Scanned as RGB in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 300 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival TIFF file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold, or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.