Marquette Hall originally served as Marquette's science building with offices, classrooms and labs. In 1967, when the building underwent its first major renovation it became apparent that the majority of science classes were no longer held in Science Hall. The building was subsequently renamed Marquette Hall in honor of the University's namesake, Jesuit missionary-explorer Father Jacques Marquette, S.J. The radio station WHAD operated out of Marquette Hall from the time of its construction until the university sold its rights and equipment in 1934. The Gothic tower of Marquette Hall holds the university carillon, a set of 48 bells, installed in 1967. Earlier address was 13th Street and Grand Avenue.
Named in honor of the University's namesake, Jesuit missionary-explorer Father Jacques Marquette, S.J.
Scanned as grayscale in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.