Built as the result of a financial campaign begun in the spring of 1939, the building was a long overdue replacement for the facilities in Bellarmine Hall. When it opened in the fall of 1941, Haggerty Hall included seventeen laboratories, facilities for classes in electrical, chemical, and civil engineering, photography rooms, research, illumination, photo-elastic welding, and fifteen classrooms. Rather than holding a formal dedication with one big open house, a series of open houses were held with members of the faculty conducting tours for groups interested in engineering. The front entrance is intentionally asymmetrical, designed so one buttress is semi-octagonal with a turret, and the other square and without a turret.
Originally named the Engineering Building, the name was changed to Patrick E. Haggerty Hall in 1988. Haggerty, co-founder of Texas Instruments, Inc., was a 1936 graduate and a long-time university benefactor. He received the Engineering Distinguished Alumnus and All-University Alumnus of the Year Awards in 1966 and 1972 respectively, and was honored with an honorary degree in 1960.
Scanned as grayscale in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 600 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.