Constructed as a part of the Greater Marquette building program, the building was originally named the Modern Language Building, but was rededicated as Lalumiere Language Hall in 1971. It was designed as a six story structure, but only four stories were built with the plan to add the additional stories when needed; this addition has never been implemented. Each of the 76 Solarbronze plate glass windows by PPG Industries stands 11 feet high and measures nearly seven feet at its widest point.
Named for Rev. Stanislaus P. Lalumiere, S.J., the founding father of Marquette University. Lalumiere came to Milwaukee at the request of Bishop Henni, and under his direction property was purchased in 1861 at 10th and State Streets for the purpose of building Marquette College. Father Lalumiere was named president of Marquette in 1881, serving for only one year due to bad health.
Scanned as grayscale in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 400 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.