The Helfaer Theatre fulfilled a long-time university goal to enhance performing arts programs at Marquette. The Association of Marquette University Women (AMUW) raised funds toward the construction of a theater on campus through benefit luncheons, antique auctions, and art fairs as early as 1962, ultimately contributing upwards of $900,000 toward the building project.
Named for Evan P. Helfaer and his wife, Marion. Mr. Helfaer, a Milwaukee native whose $1.6 million gift made the building possible served as president of Lakeside Laboratories from 1932-1957 and guided the pharmaceutical firm to a position of international prominence. In total, Helfaer gave Marquette more than $4 million in support of projects such as the theatre, a campus recreation center, and equipment for two floors in the chemistry building.
Helfaer Theatre General Information File (A-4.5 Series 10, File 00662)
21.5 x 28 cm typescript (8 1/2 x 11 in.)
Digital Reproduction Information
Scanned as grayscale in reflective mode with Epson Expression 10000XL at 360 DPI. Display image is jpeg generated from archival tiff file.
This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.